These Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Crema are the best summer dinner. They're filled with fresh ingredients, including spicy shrimp, cabbage cole slaw mix, cilantro, and avocado crema. Top with cotija or feta cheese and squeeze a lime wedge over the top before serving.
- 1 pound small or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
AVOCADO CREMA INGREDIENTS
- 1 ripe small avocado, peeled and pitted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups cabbage cole slaw mix
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- crumbled feta or cotija cheese
- 8 taco-sized tortillas, warmed
1. Prepare the Avocado Crema. Using a blender or immersion blender, combine the avocado, sour cream, lime juice, jalapeño, and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a very small bowl, add the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and black pepper. Mix until combined.
3. Lightly pat the shrimp dry using a paper towel. Put in a medium bowl and toss with spice mixture. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook about 3-4 minutes, turning halfway until they're cooked through and opaque.
4. Assemble the tacos. On each tortilla, layer some cabbage cole slaw mix, cilantro, shrimp, and feta. Top with a drizzle of avocado crema.
5. Serve warm. Plate 2 tacos per person with a few lime wedges.
If the Avocado Crema is too thick, add 1-2 teaspoons of water to thin it out, one teaspoon at a time.
Do not overcook the shrimp or the texture will be rubbery. Small shrimp will take about 3 minutes, medium/larger shrimp will take about 4 minutes.
Keywords: shrimp tacos, avocado crema, cinco de mayo recipe, taco tuesday