Taco Tuesday! These Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Crema are the best summer dish. This easy dinner recipe requires minimal cooking and is filled with fresh ingredients, including spicy shrimp, cabbage cole slaw mix, cilantro, and an avocado crema. Top with cotija or feta cheese and squeeze a lime wedge over the top before serving.
What You'll Need
Shrimp: You will need 1 lb of shrimp, peeled and deveined. I prefer small or medium shrimp, however you can substitute with large shrimp.
Taco Seasoning: This is a mix of spices that you probably have in your pantry - paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne, salt, and black pepper.
Avocado Crema: Using a blender or mini food processor (I like to use an immersion blender for this step), blend together an avocado, sour cream, juice of one lime, jalapeño, and a pinch of salt until smooth.
Toppings: My favorite taco toppings for shrimp tacos are cabbage cole slaw mix, cilantro, lime juice, and feta. Get creative! Substitute the cole slaw mix for some shredded red cabbage or some crispy lettuce. Don't like cilantro? Just leave it out. You want more spice? Add some sliced jalapeño. Want something sweet? Top with pineapple or mango chunks.
Tortillas: I like to use whole wheat taco-sized tortillas for these, but flour or corn tortillas would also be great! Warm them up before serving.
The best part of these Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Crema is that they can be ready in less than 30 minutes for a quick weeknight dinner. This is not only a great Taco Tuesday recipe, but would also be great for Cinco de Mayo or a refreshing outdoor dinner on the patio. So pour yourself a Margarita or cold beer and enjoy!Print
These Shrimp Tacos with Avocado Crema are the best summer dinner. They're filled with fresh ingredients, including spicy shrimp, cabbage cole slaw mix, cilantro, and avocado crema. Top with cotija or feta cheese and squeeze a lime wedge over the top before serving.
- 1 pound small or medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
AVOCADO CREMA INGREDIENTS
- 1 ripe small avocado, peeled and pitted
- ½ cup sour cream
- juice of 1 lime
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- pinch of salt
- 2 cups cabbage cole slaw mix
- 1 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- crumbled feta or cotija cheese
- 8 taco-sized tortillas, warmed
1. Prepare the Avocado Crema. Using a blender or immersion blender, combine the avocado, sour cream, lime juice, jalapeño, and a pinch of salt. Blend until smooth. Set aside.
2. In a very small bowl, add the paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, cayenne pepper, sea salt, and black pepper. Mix until combined.
3. Lightly pat the shrimp dry using a paper towel. Put in a medium bowl and toss with spice mixture. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add shrimp and cook about 3-4 minutes, turning halfway until they're cooked through and opaque.
4. Assemble the tacos. On each tortilla, layer some cabbage cole slaw mix, cilantro, shrimp, and feta. Top with a drizzle of avocado crema.
5. Serve warm. Plate 2 tacos per person with a few lime wedges.
If the Avocado Crema is too thick, add 1-2 teaspoons of water to thin it out, one teaspoon at a time.
Do not overcook the shrimp or the texture will be rubbery. Small shrimp will take about 3 minutes, medium/larger shrimp will take about 4 minutes.
Keywords: shrimp tacos, avocado crema, cinco de mayo recipe, taco tuesday