These Roasted Tomatoes on the Vine are bursting with flavor! Made with just 3 simple ingredients in only 30 minutes, they complement any summer dish perfectly.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
You are going to love these Roasted Cherry Tomatoes! They're a versatile side dish made with sweet and juicy ripe tomatoes.
My favorite time of year to make these is in the middle of summer when the farmer's markets, backyard gardens, and local grocery stores are overflowing with tomatoes. Read more about what's in season in summer.
Serve them with grilled meat, over ricotta or burrata for a beautiful summer dip, or on top of a salad.
You can make this simple and beautiful summer side with just three simple ingredients.
- Cherry Tomatoes On The Vine: The main ingredient is fresh cherry tomatoes on the vine. Select ones that are ripe but still firm. You can substitute for off-the-vine cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes if you prefer. They work great since you don't eat the vine. It's purely for looks and presentation.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: Choose a good quality extra virgin olive oil for the best results.
- Sea Salt: A generous pinch to bring out the flavors.
Read more about how to pick tomatoes that are ripe and ready!
I love to get creative in the kitchen and change my recipes based on how I serve them. Here are some variations for roasted cherry tomatoes on the vine.
- Top with fresh herbs. Before serving, sprinkle some fresh basil, parsley, thyme, rosemary, or your favorite fresh herbs.
- Season with black pepper. Before baking, season with some freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake with some garlic. Add a couple of fresh garlic cloves into the baking dish with the tomatoes for some garlicky flavor. You can add the cloves in whole or mince them and sprinkle them over the tomatoes.
- Drizzle some pesto over the tomatoes. You can do this before or after baking the tomatoes for a punch of flavor. Try my favorite Basil Pesto with Almonds to compliment these tomatoes!
- Add some balsamic vinegar or balsamic glaze. Drizzle either one over the roasted tomatoes once they come out of the oven.
How Do You Roast Cherry Tomatoes?
Roasting cherry tomatoes (or any type of tomato!) is simple. With just two easy steps, you'll enjoy these before you know it.
Step 1: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the cherry tomatoes in a medium baking dish. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt.
Step 2: Bake for 25-30 minutes*, until the tomatoes are soft and starting to burst. Serve and enjoy!
*The baking time will vary depending on the size of your tomatoes. For small tomatoes, start checking them around 15-20 minutes to see if they are ready.
Expert Tip: Store fresh tomatoes on the counter at room temperature, not in the refrigerator. The texture of fresh tomatoes will change and become grainy once refrigerated.
I will be serving these roasted vine tomatoes all summer long! They make a great side dish for grilled meat or fish (I especially love them with salmon).
One of my favorite ways to serve these tomatoes is over some burrata, goat cheese, or even mozzarella. Drizzle some of the oil from the bottom of the pan over them and serve with some crostini or toast and a butter knife for spreading. It makes a gorgeous summer appetizer.
These tomatoes are also delicious served over pasta or salads. However you serve them, I'm sure they'll be a big hit!
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)
Your roasted tomatoes may become soggy if you overbake them. Be sure to bake them until they are softened and begin to blister and crack. For more firm roasted tomatoes, bake them for less time.
Both cherry and grape tomatoes are great for roasting. However, cherry tomatoes have a slightly more sweet flavor. In many recipes, both types of tomatoes can be used interchangeably.
More Fresh Tomato Recipes
If you love fresh summer tomatoes as much as I do, you'll love these other tomato-packed recipes.
To get even more recipes straight to your inbox, sign-up for the Fresh Apron Weekly Newsletter.
If you make this recipe, don't forget to come back and leave a 5-star rating and a comment below.Print
- 16 ounces ripe cherry tomatoes on the vine
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- generous pinch sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Place the cherry tomatoes in a medium baking dish. Drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tomatoes are soft and starting to burst.
The baking time will vary depending on the size of your tomatoes. Start checking small tomatoes around 15-20 minutes to see if they are ready.
Nutritional values (per serving) are approximates only.
- Serving Size: 1 serving
- Calories: 80
- Sugar: 3 g
- Sodium: 296.4 mg
- Fat: 7.2 g
- Saturated Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 4.4 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: roasted tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, side dish, summer, tomato recipes