Made with shredded zucchini, whole wheat flour and honey - these healthy Zucchini Muffins make a great breakfast, snack, or dessert! This easy muffin recipe is a great way to use those farmstand fresh zucchinis all summer long.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 cups grated zucchini
- Preheat oven to 375°. Prepare a muffin tin with paper liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon). Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the rest of the ingredients, except the zucchini. (eggs, applesauce, vegetable oil, honey, brown sugar, buttermilk and vanilla extract).
- Stir the flour mixture into the wet ingredients mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.
- Gently fold in the shredded zucchini.
- Divid the mixture among the 12 muffin cups. They should each be about 3/4 full.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes, until golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before moving to a wire rack to cool completely.
If you don't have buttermilk, you can use regular milk. The buttermilk makes it just slightly more fluffy with a bit more flavor, but any milk will work in this recipe. To make them dairy-free, you can use your favorite non-dairy milk, like almond milk.
If you don't have honey, you can substitute with maple syrup.
Store at room temperature in an airtight container, or individually wrap and freeze.