This flavor-packed Mexican Brown Rice recipe is a quick and easy side dish. Using cooked brown rice it only takes 15 minutes to make. Serve as a side on your next taco night, or make it into a meal by adding chicken, tofu, or beans.
- 4 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 3/4 cup diced roma or cherry tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño, seeds removed, minced (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper, to taste
- roughly chopped fresh cilantro and lime wedges, for serving (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, tomatoes, and jalapeño. Cook 2-3 minutes until onions are translucent.
- Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add tomato paste, water, cumin, paprika, and cayenne. Stir until combined.
- Stir in rice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve topped with chopped fresh cilantro and lime wedges.
To make this quick and easy, use frozen brown rice (heated up) or minute brown rice (you can make this while you prep the other ingredients).