This cheesy Spinach Eggplant Rollatini is baked to perfection. It's filled with ricotta and spinach, baked in marinara sauce, and topped with shredded mozzarella. This is a great way to use all those garden-fresh and farmers market eggplants. This low-carb dish will have you asking for seconds!
- 1 large eggplant, cut lengthwise into 1/4 inch slices (about 8 slices)
- 2 cups baby spinach, packed
- 1 cup ricotta cheese (whole milk or part-skim)
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons + 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 1/4 cup marinara
Prepare the Eggplant
- Lay eggplant slices out on a clean dish towel or a few paper towels. Sprinkle with salt and let sit 20-30 minutes to draw out excess moisture and bitterness. While this sits, prepare the Spinach Ricotta Filling.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Pat eggplant dry and wipe off excess moisture and salt. Lay slice out on 2 parchment-lined baking sheets. Season with a little salt and pepper. Lightly spray with olive oil. Bake for 8-10 minutes or until they're tender enough to roll. Let cool 2-3 minutes before assembling the rollatini.
Prepare the Spinach Ricotta Filling
- Roughly chop the baby spinach. In a large skillet, heat a drizzle of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the spinach and cook, stirring, until it starts to wilt. Put the cooked spinach in a small bowl and set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, add the ricotta, parmesan, egg, 2 tablespoons mozzarella, and garlic powder. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Using paper towels or a cheese cloth, squeeze the liquid out of the chopped spinach. Add the spinach to the ricotta mixture and stir to combine.
Assemble and Bake the Eggplant Rollatini
- Spread 1/2 cup marinara on the bottom of an 8x8 baking dish. Set aside.
- Divide the ricotta mixture among the eggplant slices, spreading evenly over each slice. Starting at the shorter end, roll carefully then place seam side down in the baking dish.
- Top rolls with remaining marinara, and half cup of shredded mozzarella. Cover baking dish with foil.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until sauce is bubbly and eggplant is tender. Remove foil for last 5 minutes of backing to be sure the mozzarella is melted.
- Let cool 5 minutes, then top with fresh basil for serving.
You can use 2 smaller eggplants if you don't have a large one.