This Air Fryer Parmesan Crusted Chicken is made healthier in the air fryer, but is super flavorful, crispy on the outside and juicy on the inside. It's an easy weeknight main dish that comes together in less than 30 minutes. It's sure to make it into your weekly dinner rotation!
- 2 (10 oz) chicken breasts, halved lengthwise
- 1/2 cup whole wheat seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon italian seasoning
- olive oil spray
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 lemon, sliced, for serving
- Prep the ingredients. Preheat the air fryer to 360° for 5 minutes. Using the flat side of a meat tenderizer, beat the chicken breast halves to ¼" thick. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bread the chicken. In a shallow bowl, combine bread crumbs, panko bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, italian seasoning, and garlic powder. In another shallow bowl, whisk together the egg and water until combined. Dip a piece of chicken in the egg mixture and gently shake off any excess. Then dip it in the bread crumb mixture and toss to coat. Place on a plate then repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
- Bake. Spray the bottom of the air fryer basket with olive oil. Place chicken pieces in a single layer in the basket so they are not touching. Spray the tops of the chicken with olive oil. Bake for 8-10 minutes, flipping halfway, until golden brown and cooked through. You may need to cook these in 2 batches depending on the size of your air fryer basket.
- Serve and enjoy! Plate this chicken with a few lemon wedges, as it is best enjoyed with a squeeze of lemon.
To reheat the first batch of chicken so everything comes out warm at the same time, place them back in the air fryer basket with the second batch after everything is done cooking. Cook for 1 more minutes before serving so everything will be warm.