After spending the past few days in a food coma from Thanksgiving, it was time for something different to eat. I've had some ground pork in my freezer for the past few weeks, and since I haven't been grocery shopping recently, decided to use it tonight. I was looking for something fairly quick and easy, with simple ingredients that I'd definitely have on hand. As an added bonus, I still had carrots from the garden in the fridge, so was super excited to add some of those to the rice. Although Pork Fried Rice is typically a side, I chose to make this as the main dish tonight. Overflowing with ground pork, this can certainly be a side, lunch, light dinner, or midnight snack.
The most time you'll spend making this rice, is chopping the carrots, celery, and onion. You can have the rice done in under 20 minutes, including the chopping. I cooked the brown rice while I was preparing the veggies.
Heat some oil in a large skillet on medium heat and saute the carrots, onion, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the frozen peas. Cook for another 5 minutes until vegetables or somewhat tender.
Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, brown the ground pork seasoning to taste with salt and pepper. Drain.
Once the veggies are almost tender, add 1 clove of garlic and cook for another 2 more minutes. Turn off the heat, and mix in the rice and pork. In the skillet you cooked the pork, cook the egg and lightly scramble over medium high heat. This should only take about a minute. Add to the rice mixture.
Add the soy sauce and season to taste with salt and pepper. Hope you enjoy this rice as much as I did!Print
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped celery
- ½ small onion, chopped
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- ½ lb ground pork
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oil in large skillet on medium heat. Add carrots, celery, and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, then add frozen peas. Cook for another 5 minutes, until almost tender.
- Meanwhile, in a medium skillet, brown pork over medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Once veggies are almost tender, add garlic and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add rice and pork to veggie mixture.
- In the skillet that the pork was cooked in, cook the egg scrambling lighting. Add to the rice mixture.
- Add soy sauce and season with salt and pepper.