It's been a rough food week for me. On Monday I made chicken and vegetable lettuce wraps, however I wasn't crazy over the sauce I made for them. I'll have to make these again to perfect them before I post that up here. Yesterday, I attempted to make some healthy oatmeal cookies. Those also did not come out how I planned, because I forgot to add the honey in! I like to substitute honey for the sugar in most baked goods, so these tasted very plain. I didn't realize until they were in the oven, so it was too late to fix them. Like I said, not a good food week so far. For dinner tonight, I decided to make something that I could probably make in my sleep. Italian Meatballs. I make these meatballs all the time, although this was the first time I actually measured out the ingredients. The prep time on these meatballs is only about 15 minutes, so next time you pull those frozen meatballs out of the freezer, you might want to think twice and give this recipe a try. Once these meatballs are prepped, you just have to let them simmer for 40 minutes. These homemade meatballs are super easy!
In a small saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and cook about 2 minutes until soft and translucent. Add garlic.
Cook another minute and set aside.
Bring a large pot of pasta sauce to a simmer. I like Nature's Promise Organic Traditional Pasta Sauce.
In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs (I like Progresso Italian Style), Parmesan cheese, Onion and Garlic, Parsley, and Salt and Pepper to taste.
I like to top mine with shredded Parmesan Cheese and serve over whole wheat pasta.Print
- 1 Small Onion, diced
- 1 Clove Garlic, minced
- ½ tsp Olive Oil
- 52 oz Pasta Sauce (I like Nature's Promise)
- 1 lb 90% Lean Ground Beef
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup Italian Style Breadcrumbs (I like Progresso)
- ¼ cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- ½ Tbsp Parsley
- Sea Salt and Pepper to taste
- Shredded Parmesan Cheese for serving (optional)
- In a small saute pan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook about 2 minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic. Cook another minute and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of pasta sauce to a simmer.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, Onion and Garlic, Parsley, and Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Mix ingredients with your hands. Form into meatballs.
- Carefully drop meatballs into pot of simmering sauce. Simmer for 40 minutes.
- Makes about 24 meatballs.