After taking a bit of a hiatus from everyday life for the holidays, I was ready to get back in the kitchen. We've been running around so much for the holidays that I haven't had much of a chance to cook a meal, never mind eat much more than a quick bowl of soup, cereal, or a sandwich. Although we did host on Christmas morning, I certainly didn't have a spare minute to snap some photos of the delicious broccoli and cheddar bake I made. You'll have to check back in a few weeks for that one when I make it again!
I decided to go with meatless Monday. After all those Christmas cookies and sweets, I needed a little detox. You'll feel healthy after eating this eggplant, it's baked- not fried!
First slice the eggplants into 10 slices each, about ¼ to ½ inch slices. Generously salt them and let them sit on paper towels for 20 minutes until beads of moisture are visible on top. This helps take out the bitterness. You can actually leave these sit for up to an hour. Rinse well and pat dry.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°. Slice up 3 medium tomatoes into 20 slices and a slice the ball of mozzarella into 20 slices. Set aside.
Add the egg-white to a small bowl and mix in the water. Mix well with a fork. Dip each eggplant slice in the egg and water mixture, then dip in the bowl with the breadcrumbs. Be sure both sides are coated.
Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spray the tops with olive oil.
Bake at 375° for 10 minutes. Add a slice of tomato to each slice, then bake another 15 minutes. Add a slice of mozzarella to the top of each, and bake another 5 minutes until cheese is melted. Garnish with fresh basil. Serve immediately.
- 2 Small Eggplants
- 3 Medium Tomatoes
- 1 Ball Fresh Mozzarella (about 8 oz)
- 1 Egg White
- 1 Tbsp water
- ⅓ cup Italian Style Breadcrumbs (I use Progresso)
- ¼ cup Panko Crumbs
- Fresh Basil
- Slice up the 2 eggplants into 10 slices each. These will be about ¼ to ½ inch thick. Place on some paper towels and generously salt the top. Let sit for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile slice up the tomatoes into 20 slices and slice up the Mozzarella into 20 slices. Set aside.
- After the eggplant slices have been sitting for 20 minutes, rinse well and pat dry.
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Mix the egg white and water in a small bowl. Mix well with a fork.
- In another small bowl, combine the Italian Breadcrumbs and the Panko Crumbs.
- Dip each eggplant slice into the egg mixture, then into the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure each side is coated.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Spray the tops with olive oil.
- Bake 10 minutes. Flip each slice over and add a slice of tomato on top. Bake another 15 minutes.
- Add a slice of cheese to each. Bake another 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with fresh basil. Serve immediately.